Simon Sinek says, “All organizations start with WHY, but only the great ones keep their WHY clear year after year.” I think the same is true of the mission of small groups. Really great Small Group Point People (SGPP) know why they do what they do year after year. But, as a leader of leaders, it is our role to not just equip, resource, and care for our leaders. It is also to infuse fresh vision and remind them of the mission on a regular basis.
Here are two simple things that if we do them frequently and often, they will pay off dividends with our leaders in the long run.
- Remind SGPP of the value of their role:
What they bring to the table is unique and how God has wired them is specific. In other words, do they know that they cannot just be replaced by the next small group point person? Do they know they have just as importance speaking and teaching in one’s life as a pastor on staff might? Remind them of that. Ephesians 4 reminds us that we all have a role to play in order to build up the Body of Christ.
2. Remind SGPP of their WHY:
What is the mission of your groups? Why do we do what we do every day? Do your SGPP know the purpose of small groups or did they just volunteer to fill a gap or need? Do they know why the church has small groups?
- One way to answer these questions is to creatively look for ways that they can be a part of the church’s vision and mission.
- Frequently tell them why you do what you do. Share your story.
- Make an effort to overshare wins, testimonies, and stories of the life change that happens in an individual’s life. One life matters.
- Keep a folder and call it a testimony folder. Ask around to find some recent testimonies, ask your SGPP what life change they have seen happen in their group. These stories build our faith and ultimately build up the Body of Christ.
Let your SGPP know they can have such an impact both directly and indirectly as a SGPP.
Grow as a leader, strengthen your team & accelerate the health & growth of your small group ministry by attending one of our “Accelerate!” Small Group Workshops! For more info & to lock in EARLY BIRD RATES click HERE!