Small groups at Eastside exist to help people make friends, follow Jesus, and make a difference. The Anaheim Small Group Pastor is responsible for the tactical implementation of that vision on our Anaheim campus and will have the opportunity to speak into larger strategic decisions related to small groups.
• Leader Recruiting – The Pastor is responsible for growing the small group ministry at the campus by at least 40% per year and will guide potential leaders through our leadership pipeline (training, application, and interview).
• Team Leadership – The Pastor recruits, develops, and leads a team of small group directors, each of whom oversees one of our small group hubs at the campus (women, men, couples/families, study, outreach, care & recovery, and interest/activity). This team is primarily volunteer driven. Some directors are staff, although none are direct reports to the Pastor.
• Leader Development and Care – Directors and assistant directors (coaches) provide ongoing support to and development of leaders. The Pastor equips this team to do so and is available as needed to provide support, care, and development directly to leaders.
• Promotion – The Pastor is the person primarily responsible for helping Eastsiders at the Anaheim campus get connected with groups. Each semester we have two to four promotion weekends during which the Pastor directs promotional efforts at his/her campus, and he or she continues to help people connect with groups throughout the semester.
• Strategy - The Pastor keeps a pulse on the demographics and culture of the campus in order to ascertain the need for various types of groups and identifies candidates to lead them. The Pastor also works to support multi-campus small group initiatives as they may arise.
• Communications/Logistics – The Pastor is responsible for communicating with leaders about group registration deadlines, training dates, etc. and manages the processes that make groups happen on a practical level (group registrations, leader onboarding, event RSVPs, survey completion, new leader training, etc.)
• Small Group Leadership – The Pastor is expected to lead his or her own small group during most semesters.
Other duties likely to be assigned include:
• Curriculum writing
• Story writing
• Training module development
• Pastoral care
• Other as assigned
• Commitment to following Jesus and Eastside’s Vision, Beliefs, Leadership Agreement, Personnel Manual and Policies.
• Minimum of two years experience on staff or in a key volunteer role at a church. Small group ministry experience at the level of coach or higher strongly preferred.
• Minimum of two years experience in a leadership role (professional or volunteer).
• Bachelor or seminary degree in related field preferred but not required.
• Ministerial ordination/licensure by a recognized church/organization or ability to be licensed as a minister by Eastside.
• Tangible evidence of a passion for and commitment to small groups and discipleship.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Catalytic leadership needed to recruit and develop volunteer leaders and teams.
• Self-motivation and strong work ethic (day-to-day responsibilities of position performed with limited oversight).
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Conflict management.
• Capacity to track people, groups, and other information using systems both provided and developed by Pastor. (This is not primarily an administrative role. However, it has limited administrative support, and a successful candidate will need to track hundreds of groups and leaders.)
• Ability to develop proficiency with church database (Church Community Builder).
This is a full-time position requiring 40+ hours/week. The standard schedule at Eastside is four eight-hour work days (Tuesday-Friday) and presence on campus during all Anaheim weekend services (currently one on Saturday at 4:30 and three on Sunday from 9 AM-1:15 PM). The Pastor will also be expected to work some evenings and other weekend times for various church functions, including visits to small groups. There is flexibility in the standard Tuesday-Friday hours to accommodate these additional expectations.