How Will You Involve Every Group in Personal Evangelism?

dereko@saddleback.com

How Will You Involve Every Group in Personal Evangelism?

Postby dereko@saddleback.com » Fri May 04, 2018 12:05 pm

kenthall5@gmail.com

Rockbridge Student

Postby kenthall5@gmail.com » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:24 pm

This is the question that I have been waiting for. How do we get each person involved? Steve gives us some excellent tools on page 195 to get people to grow in this area. I talk about similar ideas in my sermons, but only in a general, generic form. A small group would be the right setting to get people to document the specifics such as a certain person to evangelize, neighborhood mapping, and activities which can bring them together.

Steve’s SPEAK pattern is a great plan for evangelizing. It goes back to the old saying, “They don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” This pattern allows them to open up and allows you to show them that you care about them and their life. Then, the doors will open for us to tell our story.

Developing our testimonies is essential in sharing the Lord with people. Most people have at least seen or heard John 3:16, but more important to them is how it has affected your life. It is amazing how many Christians have never thought about this. Years ago when I was a new Christian playing in a praise band, the leader ask me if I would like to share my testimony at an event. I was dumbfounded. I had never thought about it. How can we help people to develop this story? It seems like it should come naturally, but it doesn’t.

janetporter@sandyplains.org

Rockbridge Student

Postby janetporter@sandyplains.org » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:40 am

Personal evangelism has always made me nervous. Looking back, I think it scares me because the focus has always been on making sure the person gets saved. I have since learned that Jesus does the saving and the heart transformation, I simply need to share my story. I love that this is the focus for personal evangelism in Steve's book and it means that I have been doing evangelism for a long time :)

Now I need to learn how to teach others to do personal evangelism. Steve gives some great tools and advice. I, too, loved his SPEAK pattern. It's an easy way to teach people how to intentionally listen so the relationship can grow. Steve makes it so simple ... just ask God to give us a chance to have normal conversations with people in our circles of influence. In the course of these normal conversations, we can share our story, which is usually what people want to hear anyway. Most of us are more interested in hearing about what God has done for a person, rather than hearing their interpretation of the Bible.

I think we will need to incorporate this testimony building activity into our small groups. It is important to have a variety of lengths to your story so you can be ready to give it anywhere. When have I ever practiced giving them?

cas.sufficool@gmail.com

Rockbridge Student

Postby cas.sufficool@gmail.com » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:49 am

In the chapter Steve provides multiple tools to help answer and fulfill this question, one which is the SPEAK. This is a great outline to help bridge the gap between simply speaking and thinking about evangelism, and actually doing it. Sadly, I do believe it is impossible to get everyone in the church to be evangelistically minded, but the tools Steve offers in this chapter will help the majority take the next step in their outreach abilities.

Another tool that has been talked about in previous chapters and videos is leadership development. I believe developing and training leaders to be equipped and comfortable with teaching and practicing evangelism is a great tool to get the other group members involved. If we can train and excited the small group leaders about evangelism, as the groups continue to meet, some of that excitement will spread to the other members. Then, as the leaders have been trained, they will be able to informally train the other group members to engage in evangelism.

I do believe one of the churches mission and vision for their small group ministry has to be partially focused on outreach. If the small group ministry isn’t focused on outreach then, as Steve has mentioned previously, the small group will struggle to sustain and grow itself. If the small group ministry isn’t at least partially focused on outreach, then having leaders who are passionate about it will only go so far.

Lastly, I think offer many ministries and avenues to allow small groups an opportunity to evangelize is a great tool to get the majority of people involved. Having multiple ministries that the church partners with will allow the small groups to partner with those ministries to accomplish their outreach goals. I do wonder however, what is the best method of balancing outreach inside the small groups with the curriculum that the group is formed around in the first place?

cas.sufficool@gmail.com

Rockbridge Student, to Kent:

Postby cas.sufficool@gmail.com » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:45 am

I have often wondered Kent, if we as preachers have limited the use of our stage? I to have found myself preach on general and generic forms of evangelism and other topics of course. However, what if we used the stage God has given us to go into specifics that can fuel the fire for our small groups? What if we did a sermon series on evangelism that contained these specific areas of evangelism, focusing on a different one each week?

The American church has a stereo type that the sermons can only be 30 minutes to an hour max, the service better not run past noon because we don’t want people to miss their football team’s kickoff, and heaven forbid if we play more than four worship songs on any given Sunday. Yet if we look at the New Testament, Paul preaching “on and on” until a young man fell asleep and fell out the window (Acts 20:9)!

How has our church services been transformed over the years and cultures from what the early church seemed to experience? People have, on occasion fallen asleep during my sermons, but is that any excuse to cut our services shorter to the point of rushing if we are mission out on what God has for us a church body. This question of getting people involved raises another question inside me, do the people even want to be involved?

I have struggled with the way our American culture has affected our churches when in reality I believe the church is supposed to affect the culture around it. I want people to be involved but in a culture that has limited the church services, I find this a difficult task.

janetporter@sandyplains.org

Rockbridge Student

Postby janetporter@sandyplains.org » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Kent,
I think one of the best ways we can help people to get their story together is to give them a platform to practice it. It sounds silly and may feel uncomfortable, but we all know that the things we practice are the things that we do well. Small groups would be a great and safe place to practice. Steve's simple outline on p.197 is helpful and easy to remember. The question he asked in his video has really painted a picture for me, "How do I build the bridge that Jesus can walk across?" It is almost like we know the most important person and it is our job to prepare people for their encounter with Jesus!

reidsmith777@gmail.com

Re: How Will You Involve Every Group in Personal Evangelism?

Postby reidsmith777@gmail.com » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:36 pm

I've found resources by Mark Mittelberg and Steve Sjogren (www.stevesjogren.com) to be helpful with engaging groups in personal evangelism because a lot of people just need 'handles' like SPEAK to get started. Before diving into a new study, I usually reserve the first session as a time to get to know each other better, for people to share some of their story. If I knew each person in my group was already a believer, I wonder how it would work if I asked each one to share their story based on Steve's outline on p. 197: Before I knew Christ, How I met Christ, How Christ helps me now. What do you think? Do you think that would help a group take steps forward in personal evangelism?