How Will You Engage Every Group in Global Outreach?

dereko@saddleback.com

How Will You Engage Every Group in Global Outreach?

Postby dereko@saddleback.com » Fri May 04, 2018 12:04 pm

kenthall5@gmail.com

Rockbridge Student

Postby kenthall5@gmail.com » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Global outreach would seem to be a challenge for a small church. Their numbers and resources are limited. However, at my last church there were a couple of the older people who had been involved in global missions over the years. One had helped with a group who ministered in Russia and Alaska. Another had a son whom they supported in his missions to Africa. As a church, we provided financial support for both ministries. It was not their total funding, but an important piece.

Since I am new at my current church, I am not yet aware of what global outreaches are done here. I know that when I talk about it, they refer me to a woman who “is in charge of that.” Obviously, it is not a church-wide effort. It would seem to me of greater importance to firm up the foundation of our local church before reaching elsewhere.

In reading about Saddleback’s Peace Plan on their website, Rick Warren points to spiritual emptiness, self-centered leadership, poverty, disease, and illiteracy as the five global giants that plague the world. He says that there is an army of believers sitting in churches waiting to be mobilized. They hold the antidote to these five giants. His answer does not start with getting a plane ticket to another country. First, we have to equip the saints for these works of service as Paul tells us. Until a soldier is well-trained, he is not ready for battle. Again, the issue of motivation enters. How do we get people to realize the importance of this outreach so that they will want to be trained? At some point, it is in the Lord’s hands, but we know He uses us as His hands.

cas.sufficool@gmail.com

Rockbridge Student

Postby cas.sufficool@gmail.com » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:13 am

Global outreach has a special place in my heart since God lead my family and I into global outreach with Youth with a Mission for four years. God brought us all over the world and He revealed His heart to us in so many unique ways. That is why I loved this question and the insight that Steve gave. Steve does talk about the “home” and “away” teams and I thought these were good terms to describe those who stay and do mission compared with those who travel.

I believe God gives every believer a passion for either being on the “home” team or the “away” team. Yet, I believe those believers who are called to be on the “home” team still engage in “away” ministry. As well, those who are called to be on the “away” team are still called to do ministry when they are “home”. It is my personal belief that every believer should do an “away” trip, because by going away and getting out of our comfort zone opens our hearts for God to move in ways that we are often guarded to when at home.

In a small group context, I believe it would be transformational to the cohesiveness and longevity of a small group if they went on an oversees mission trip together. The work, challenges, and fruit of oversees missions bring people together on a lesser but similar scale as soldiers who fight side by side in battle. I cannot even fathom the fruit and impact small groups on oversees mission together would be to the kingdom of heaven.

A challenge I could see forming inside the ministry though is the two different teams comparing themselves. The “away” team becoming proud by thinking they are making more of a difference because they are traveling to the often-impoverished places. While the “home” team becoming bitter towards the “away” team because there is so much work to do around their area that they shouldn’t be wasting their time oversees. Has anyone seen this tension inside small groups or the church and how was it handled?

janetporter@sandyplains.org

Rockbridge Student

Postby janetporter@sandyplains.org » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:15 am

Global outreach is not something that I am personally connected to or have ever participated in by traveling to another country. I have financially supported global missions and taught about global missions, but it has not been my passion. I like the idea of challenging small groups to go on mission through "home and away teams". I can see where this challenge would be easier if the church had a global outreach plan. With a centralized focus on one area of the world, even a small church could make a huge impact.

At our church, each group seems to focus on their own passions to do global reach. We have one group that frequently travels to the Dominican Republic and we have others that are extremely passionate about the global reach of the Baptist Association. With more than one focus, the groups have to be strategic when they ask for donations or money for their global reach mission. If our church had a global reach plan with one focus, anytime there was a need it would go to the same place. People would not be forced to choose which global reach project to support. It would also create more unity in our church, which we really need.

Any suggestions on how to approach a global outreach plan for a church with many different missions already set in place?

kenthall5@gmail.com

Re: Rockbridge Student

Postby kenthall5@gmail.com » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:18 pm

janetporter@sandyplains.org wrote:
> Global outreach is not something that I am personally connected to or have
> ever participated in by traveling to another country. I have financially
> supported global missions and taught about global missions, but it has not
> been my passion. I like the idea of challenging small groups to go on
> mission through "home and away teams". I can see where this
> challenge would be easier if the church had a global outreach plan. With a
> centralized focus on one area of the world, even a small church could make
> a huge impact.
>
> At our church, each group seems to focus on their own passions to do global
> reach. We have one group that frequently travels to the Dominican Republic
> and we have others that are extremely passionate about the global reach of
> the Baptist Association. With more than one focus, the groups have to be
> strategic when they ask for donations or money for their global reach
> mission. If our church had a global reach plan with one focus, anytime
> there was a need it would go to the same place. People would not be forced
> to choose which global reach project to support. It would also create more
> unity in our church, which we really need.
>
> Any suggestions on how to approach a global outreach plan for a church with
> many different missions already set in place?
Janet,
My first thought in reference to your question goes to figure 3.1 on page 62 of the Planning Small Groups with Purpose book. As Steve indicates, many churches and small groups are out of balance in serving the five purposes of the church. My church certainly fits in that category. Our leaders all agreed with me that fellowship is the heaviest part of the circle for us.

In your case, it sounds like the church as a whole needs to come together and analyze where they are with these five purposes. However, getting them in balance is a tough balancing act. It sounds like many of your members probably have their “pet” projects and will not part with them. They need to be on board with studying the purposes and doing the analysis from the beginning.

On the other hand, praise the Lord that your group has so many passions for outreach. I believe many churches are like mine and are very inward-focused. “What is good for our church?” seems to be the prevailing sentiment.

kenthall5@gmail.com

Re: Rockbridge Student

Postby kenthall5@gmail.com » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:29 pm

cas.sufficool@gmail.com wrote:
> Global outreach has a special place in my heart since God lead my family
> and I into global outreach with Youth with a Mission for four years. God
> brought us all over the world and He revealed His heart to us in so many
> unique ways. That is why I loved this question and the insight that Steve
> gave. Steve does talk about the “home” and “away” teams and I thought these
> were good terms to describe those who stay and do mission compared with
> those who travel.
>
> I believe God gives every believer a passion for either being on the
> “home” team or the “away” team. Yet, I believe those believers who are
> called to be on the “home” team still engage in “away” ministry. As well,
> those who are called to be on the “away” team are still called to do
> ministry when they are “home”. It is my personal belief that every believer
> should do an “away” trip, because by going away and getting out of our
> comfort zone opens our hearts for God to move in ways that we are often
> guarded to when at home.
>
> In a small group context, I believe it would be transformational to the
> cohesiveness and longevity of a small group if they went on an oversees
> mission trip together. The work, challenges, and fruit of oversees missions
> bring people together on a lesser but similar scale as soldiers who fight
> side by side in battle. I cannot even fathom the fruit and impact small
> groups on oversees mission together would be to the kingdom of heaven.
>
> A challenge I could see forming inside the ministry though is the two
> different teams comparing themselves. The “away” team becoming proud by
> thinking they are making more of a difference because they are traveling to
> the often-impoverished places. While the “home” team becoming bitter
> towards the “away” team because there is so much work to do around their
> area that they shouldn’t be wasting their time oversees. Has anyone seen
> this tension inside small groups or the church and how was it handled?
Chad,
It is obvious that you were given a special gift for global outreach. Your involvement with YWAM has had you moving to many areas in Jesus’ name. We are interested in seeing your practical insights in this question. You are, no doubt, a valuable team member in this aspect of leadership.

I agree that even though each of us has a passion for either being on the “home” team or the “away” team, Jesus has given each of us the responsibility for both. The ministry purpose of our lives is not by our choice. How we are to contribute to is something we must pray and be obedient about.

The “home and away team” tension that you ask about is an interesting query which I have never had to face. I believe two words in your explanation reveal the underlying issue, pride and bitter. Regardless of which “team” anyone is on, these emotions have no place in service to God. Such people need to realize that we are all on God’s team, working in fellowship as an important part of His family to bring Jesus into the world. Regardless of where we are ministering, it is God doing the work.

Rockbridge Student

Postby janetporter@sandyplains.org » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Kent,
At your previous church, you mentioned that some older people had been involved in global missions and they seem to have led the church in getting involved. Would you say that they often shared their passion about global missions? Did they work to get the entire church involved in global missions? I am not very familiar with global missions, but it seems that when personal stories and passions are shared, people want to get involved.

The lady in charge of missions, both locally and globally, at our church is extremely passionate about supporting the Baptist association and the missions that they support, such as the Lottie Moon fund. When one of these campaigns came up last year, the ladies group started exploring how they would encourage people to give money to this mission. I suggested that each of them who were passionate about it should share their passion with the younger families. You would have thought I was asking them to sacrifice a lot! Their response to me was, "They can read about it in the pamphlet and research it in our library." How sad :( Their belief was that if it was important to someone they would pick up the paper and read it. My point was that if it is important to you, you should verbally share it with others.

One of the answers to your question about motivation goes back to the sharing of personal stories and testimonies. They are so powerful and touch hearts like nothing else!

Rockbridge Student

Postby janetporter@sandyplains.org » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Chad,
Thanks for your insight into the home and away mission teams. I agree with you that God calls all of us to be on mission whether we are at home or away in a foreign country. It is important to remember that every part to be played is equally important and needed. I also agree with you that a small group mission trip to a foreign country would bond the group like nothing else. God definitely changes your heart when you see how others live and when you must depend on people in your group to fulfill a specific task, as in overseas mission work.

I, too, have wondered about the feelings of comparison with the home and away teams. I have not had any experience with that, but I wonder if some of it depends on how the leader of the group presents the teams and their duties. If they group has functioned as a team on local mission, maybe there would be less comparison and more trust in the group.

Rockbridge Student

Postby janetporter@sandyplains.org » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:27 pm

Kent,
Thank you for reminding me about balancing the five purposes. I am praying that God allows our pastors to use some of this small group material to grow our church to where God wants us to be!

reidsmith777@gmail.com

Re: How Will You Engage Every Group in Global Outreach?

Postby reidsmith777@gmail.com » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:28 pm

I identify with Chad's belief about every believer finding a way to do an "away trip" because I too have found it "opens our hearts for God to move in ways that we are often guarded to when at home." I like how Steve started with addressing the global outreach question and then progressed to the local and personal evangelism. Though "global outreach" might sound daunting or even unattainable to some, his suggested crawl and walk tasks make it something any group can begin to move into. I've found a lot of impetus needed to help groups become intentional in this area relates back to the previous question of promoting reach and spiritual awareness. I'm intrigued by Janet's proposal of having a global outreach plan that focuses group on, say a particular people group, because it'll help to build a longer-term relationship with those being reached vs it being a short-term mission trip that may or may not have any follow-up to it. Has anyone been a part of that kind of missional initiative who could speak from experience, especially as to how it impacted the sending church?